Question: What is lasagna without pasta noodles?
Keto lasagna, made with zucchini sheets, is quite possibly more delicious than traditional lasagna. And it’s definitely more enjoyable to eat, because you don’t feel stuffed after enjoying a zucchini lasagna.
How do I make a keto lasagna?
While there are many variations of keto lasagna, including one that uses deli meat, the recipe I’m about to share with you is the best. Why? Because it uses natural ingredients to create easily portioned, perfect pieces of lasagna.
Keto lasagna equipment
If you want to do keto lasagna right, there is some equipment we recommend. First, you should have a KitchenAid mixer. (You can get one for just $189 on Amazon right now.)
Since it’s an essential small appliance, you can acquire attachments over time. (They can be pricey, we know!)
If you don’t have a KitchenAid mixer or sheet cutter attachment, you can use a mandoline. But be very careful! The mandoline is a very dangerous tool. (So is the KitchenAid attachment. Please use care either way.)
If you have no tools, you can thinly slice zucchini sheets by hand. Either use a peeling-type method or create thin, length-wise slices.
Assembling the keto lasagna
Have you ever made a traditional lasagna? Great! Then you’ll be right at home with making a keto lasagna. The steps are pretty simple. For the purposes of tracking my macros, I like to use a small, square baking dish.
So, start with a 9 x 9 baking dish or brownie pan. Put a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the pan. Then add a layer of thinly sliced zucchini sheets. Next up, the cheese mixture. Then more sauce and another layer of noodles. Repeat until you reach the top of the dish. Then add a final sauce layer and cover with cheese. Bake to perfection.
Why use a small, square pan?
As I put this recipe together, I weighed each ingredient. Then I was able to cut the final lasagna into nine identical pieces. This way, I had nine identical servings and could easily calculate the macros of each piece.
One of the best things about any lasagna is that it keeps well and is good left over. This is true for keto lasagna, too.
You can make this dish on a Sunday afternoon and save the leftovers for lunch or dinner throughout the week.
Warning: this keto lasagna is so good, there may not be leftovers!
Keto lasagna ingredients
Perhaps my favorite thing about this recipe is how easily it is adapted from a traditional lasagna recipe.
Although I’ve made my own sauce in the past, I cheated this time and used a jar of chunky vodka sauce. Using vodka sauce in place of regular is one of my signature food moves. Try it on keto pizza, too!
Here’s what I use in my keto lasagna:
- Zucchini or yellow squash
- Vodka sauce (Store bought is fine. In fact, store bought is delicious.)
- Ricotta (I really like Polly-O Old Fashioned Ricotta. It’s my favorite.)
This keto lasagna is made with zucchini noodles and is gluten-free.
Zucchini Lasagna | Keto Lasagna
- 4 thick zucchini or yellow squash
- 16 oz ricotta
- 16 oz vodka sauce
- 5 oz mozzarella
- 2 oz parmesan
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Cut your zucchini or yellow squash into sheets. (We use the KitchenAid Vegetable Sheet Cutter attachment for this!)
- Mix ricotta, egg, garlic, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper, 3 oz of mozzarella and 1 oz of parmesan together for the filling
- Spread a thin layer of vodka sauce on the bottom of your 9 x 9 pan
- Layer zucchini or squash sheets on top of the sauce
- Add dollops of ricotta mixture on top of the veggie sheets. Spread into thin layer. Sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with sauce. Then add another veggie sheet layer (with strips going the opposite way with each layer) and repeat until the lasagna has reach the top.
- Add a final layer of sauce and the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 375 for an hour or until the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes.
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 222Total Fat: 16.6gSaturated Fat: 4.2gTrans Fat: n/agUnsaturated Fat: n/agCholesterol: 63.3mgSodium: 397.1mgCarbohydrates: 7.3gFiber: 2gSugar: 5.9gProtein: 12.6g