Once again, I feel as though I have to apologize for what I’m about to say. But it has to be said. And it’s the truth.
Your pre-pregnancy body? It died.
The sooner you grow up and grieve the loss of the old you, the better. Because all the diets and sweat sessions won’t change the fact that your body is different now. As women, we’ve never really been comfortable with our bodies. But after a baby, you feel even less so because the body you were used to hating is not the same. So, what’s a lady to do?
Own it. Who says your body is any less perfect than it was pre-pregnancy? Remember back before you had a baby, and you used to pout over pictures or the way your reflection didn’t fit your ideal? Remember how your husband/significant other fell in love with you anyway? Remember how that feeling is exactly the same as the one you have now (minus the fact that you spent 9 months dreaming of getting your old, still-disdainful body “back”)? Guess what: that body you never really loved anyway isn’t coming back.
Even if you look back and retrospectively realize that you were, in fact, “banging”, it will not bring the old you back. But who says the old you was really any better than the new you?
Here are the things I love about my postpartum body:
1. My boobs are enormous. I went from a 32A to a 34DD. Even better? My humongous tatas hide the fact that my stomach is not the perfectly flat monument it used to be. OH WELL. When I catch a glimpse of my new rack in the mirror, I can’t help but think dayyyyummmm.
2. I have a big(ger) butt. What? My husband loves it. So, it’s okay. It can stay (for now).
3. Hair & skin have seen major improvements. During my pregnancy, my hair grew 5 inches, and, thanks to the bottles of vitamin E oil I lathered myself in during pregnancy, my skin is still glowing. YAY!
4. Nursing gives me an excuse to cheat on my diet. Oh, I want to lose another 15 pounds? It can wait. I have a baby to feed. Bring on the burgers, baby!
5. I have the perfect reason to buy more shoes. MY FEET STAYED THE SAME SIZE BUT SO WHAT?! SHOES LOOK GREAT NO MATTER WHAT WEIGHT! Woo! Shoes!
So, maybe these are not the best reasons. But, they’re my reasons. And I’ve made peace with the fact that it will take time for me to skinny down. And that’s okay.